When I saw a pallet apart I use every bit of it, such as this project. I decided I had to figure out how to make a mini desk organizer using pieces from the pallet.
Actually, I got the idea when I was having dinner at Applebee’s. There was a cube on the table holding a card with the dessert specials. I knew this would be the perfect project to use up a few odds and ends in my stash when I joined the group of bloggers who were challenged to use what we had to create a craft project.
So the idea was going through my head and when I was sawing the pallet apart. I decided the little piece of wood used as a spacer would be perfect. Usually, I saw the long boards apart and the little spacer is all one piece. For this project, I used the jig saw to cut it to size so a piece of the long board remained attached. The cube got sanded smooth.
I played around with it, set it aside and pulled it back out. Then I rummaged around a boxful of wooden pieces. This cube needed style.
And this is how I did it.
- Using wood glue, attach small wood bowls to each corner. I made the bottom the part that is the piece of the pallet board
- Drill a hole on the top for a piece of chalk. The hole should be big enough so the chalk can fit in.
- Using a foam brush, paint the top and 2 sides with chalkboard paint.
4. When the chalkboard paint is thoroughly dry, tape the top and sides off with paper and painter’s tape.Spray paint the exposed areas.
I used Rust-Oleum Oil Bronze paint. Rust-Oleum sent it to me for a survey they were conducting and the paint provided good coverage. Season the chalkboard top and sides by rubbing the piece of chalk on its side and then rubbing with a dry rag and erase.
5. Use 3 braces on the corner of the chalkboard and spray painted sides. Place one on the top and mark it.
Drill a small pilot hole and then screw on the block of wood. Repeat this step and place one brace on the bottom and the middle. Then take two round magnets and glue a penny to each one. Put it on the braces.
6. On the other side of the cube that is painted with the chalkboard paint glue a small washer to it. This is for the small magnet clip which can hold a small pad or post it note.
7. The side that is spray painted is for the pencil holder. I found a metal piece that a lock slides into in my stash. I drilled pilot holes and screwed it on. It can also hold small scissors.
And that is how to make a mini desk organizer. It can come in handy by the phone or on your desk.
This post contains some affiliate links
Pallet Wood Spacer Chalk Board Paint
Small Round Magnet Pennies
Magnet Clip Small Screws and washer
Affiliate links may be contained in this post. That means if you click on one of those links, I will receive a small commission. You won’t be paying a cent more but it just means I will make a little money from your purchase. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Check out what all my talented Blogger Friends created using items from their Crafty De-Stash.