Now those of you who know me know I love to make Christmas Ornaments so I am thrilled to be part of the Ornament Exchange Blog Hop. I especially like using clay pots. I actually have a list of ones I want to design. But when I saw all of the trucks and cars on Pinterest with a Christmas tree on the roof I knew instantly this year’s ornament would be a car. I am going to show you how to make a little red Christmas Car ornament. You can see last year’s Shining Star here and Christmas in July’s Gingerbread Man here.
Welcome to the 2016 Ornament Exchange; Blog Hop! This year, there are 11 pairs of partners or 22 talented ladies participating in the exchange. The rules of the challenge were simple – create a handmade ornament for under $15 to exchange with a partner and create a tutorial to share on the blog hop!
Erlene ⋅ My Pinterventures
Kim · Made In A Day
Amanda · The Kolb Corner
Shirley · Intelligent Domesticatons
Michelle · Our Crafty Mom
Robin ·Redo It Yourself Inspirations
Sherry · Olives-n-Okra
Nicki · Sweet Parrish Place
Sherry · Savvy Apron
Megan · C’mon Get Crafty
Jelica · A Pretty Fix
Emily · Two Purple Couches
Christene · Keys to Inspiration
Kati · Houseful of Handmade
Beverly · Across the Blvd.
Jeanie · Create and Babble
Erin · Suburban Simplicity
Terri · Christmas Tree Lane
Maureen · Red Cottage Chronicles
Debra · Shoppe No. 5
Donna · Two Chicks and A Mom
Pamela · Home On The Corner
A No Sew Christmas Pillow
A No Sew Christmas Pillow that is fun and so easy to make. Usually I sew pillow covers. For me, it is fast and easy but this time I took the lazy way out and went the no sew way. While shopping at Michaels some time ago, I bought readymade white pillow covers. Having no particular plan in mind, they sat in my sewing closet for a while.
Christmas seems to be the season when everyone is extremely creative. Doing the virtual house tours has been so inspiring. I noticed so many Christmas pillows and decided it was time to pull out a pillow cover and see what I could do.
So I rummaged through my box of stencils and selected a font I liked. I already planned to stencil “Joy” on the pillow.
When I bought the pillow cover, I had also bought Tulip Stencil Spray. The list of supplies is below. I laid out the letters and measured so the distance between the “J” and the “Y’ was equal to each side of the pillow. Then I decided what distance I wanted from the bottom of the letters to the bottom of the pillow. I inserted the cardboard into the pillowcover in case paint seeped through the fabric.
Once I got the measurements I sprayed the back of the “J” with the Tulip Stencil Spray and placed it down very carefully along with manipulating the tape measure to make sure I had the correct space. I loaded the stencil brush with the red craft paint and gently pounced the paint onto the stencil. To me, Christmas calls for a little “BLING”. After the red paint dried I layered the red glitter paint over the letters, removing the stencil from the material after the paints dried.
The way my stencils are I was afraid if I put the next one down it would smudge the painted “J”. I took a bit of wax paper and placed it over the “J” and then put the “O” stencil on the pillow cover and repeated painting the red paint in the “O” and then going back over it with the red glitter paint. The “Y” fit up against the “O” and I finished up painting in the space with the red paint and red glitter paint. When I work with stencils I almost always take the little paint brush and fill in the white spaces. I just like the look better then leaving it with the white spaces.
To jazz it up a bit I used the Martha Stewart holly stencil. It was place near the bottom of the “J”, after spraying the stencil with the Tulip Stencil Spray. I used the Christmas green craft paint and went back over it with the green glitter paint. I also used the glitter paint in multi to paint a few highlights on the holly leaves. Of course I used both red paints for the holly berries.
So that was what I had planned to do but stepping back I felt like I should add more holly leaves and berries. Rather than blindly adding them I got a sheet of paper, using red and green markers I made a mock up. It really helped and if you try this project you may want to draw it out prior to working on the fabric. By doing this I moved the stencil to give me an idea of the placement. I settled on putting it on the upper part of the “Y” placing it so one of the berries was incorporated into the letter.