A winter refresh for the bedroom. It is time for a winter refresh for the bedroom and all for under $40. The holidays are over and everything looks so bland. While shopping at Walmart I spied an explosion of color about three aisles away. I continued to do my shopping but couldn’t get the colorful picture out of my mind so I checked it out. It was a pretty throw but I didn’t need any more so paid for my stuff and went home. The throw haunted me. I went online to check it out. Then I got in my car, back to Walmart. The throw picked up the colors in the duvet cover and other bedding so I decided what the heck it is only about $15.00.
Of course one thing leads to another right? I decided I needed new throw pillows in the bedroom to pick up the colors in the throw. Rather than buy new pillows I decided to sew pillow covers for the throw pillows already in the room. Off to Hobby Lobby to buy fabric. I brought the picture of the throw and the ribbon that tied it up to match the color.
I was determined I would do a winter refresh to freshen up my bedroom without spending a fortune. There are three throw pillows I wanted to recover. I actually found several printed fabrics that coordinated with the throw so I decided to really go wild and buy two for the winter. The other will go with material I had from another project for summer pillows.
The winter fabric came to about $20.00 including the zippers and cord to make the piping. So I felt pretty good to think I could freshen up the bedroom for under $40.00. It was a project I worked in with celebrating the holidays and working. Whenever I got a minute I would work on it.
The first thing I did was draw a pattern out on contractor’s paper. I like making patterns so I get the correct measurements and can reuse them when I make pillow covers to freshen up the bedroom for summer. Plus I didn’t buy a lot of material so I couldn’t afford to make a mistake when cutting out the material.
I cut out the fabric using both prints so the pillows could be reversed. I squeezed out enough fabric to make the piping from each print for two pillow covers. I used the ribbon for the piping for another. Once everything was cut out I left it.
I stole a little time here and there and finally finished the pillows. If you aren’t sure how to make them you can check out my Pinterest Board, “Pillow Talk”.
A Winter Refresh For The Bedroom. It was time to refresh the bedroom for winter. It’s crazy how for under $40.00 the bedroom is freshened up for winter and I like the room again. And check out the chairs. Another curbside find that I had reupholstered.
You Can Make Solar Lights From Broken Electric Lanterns
A long, long time ago, my friend, Missy found 3 broken coach lights on the curb. No problem. You can make solar lights from broken electric lanterns. The glass panes were broken in 2 of them so I immediately thought of converting them into solar lights. I removed the glass and yanked out the wires and shoved them aside. Not too long ago I decided it was time to make the broken electric lights into solar lights.
I had bought the Spray Chalk Paint for my lamps in my bedroom but decided to try it out on the broken electric lights. Oh my, did this make a makeover for the lights easy. Since the paint was supposed to be for my room I had bought the paint in cream. I cleaned off sawdust, grit, and grime from the lights and got to work.
The paint sprayed on so smoothly. It didn’t take any time to get the lights painted. Once they were fully covered and dried, I sprayed the lights with the clear protector. This isn’t even a sponsored post but I was so impressed by the outcome. I went back to the store and bought more to do my lamps since I used the paint on this project.
I am not sure you can tell from the before picture but the lanterns have a nice texture and the paint really brought it out.
Time to make solar lights from broken electric lanterns. I am not sure of the correct term but it is where the lightbulbs go. Lucky for me, the solar lights fit into the fixture. I had to maneuver a metal piece up against the wall of it. I also had to remove the stakes the solar light comes with. The bottom of the solar light fit into the little metal piece that sticks up in the fixture for the light bulb.
If I had realized how easy this project was going to be I would have done it a lot sooner. There is one more broken lantern that I will make into a solar light. I just need to yank out the electrical stuff and the glass. I have the perfect spot on my fence for it. And that one can light up my garden angel.